A healthy 2030
FROM 2012 TO 2030
50% decrease in motor vehicle emissions
- Align US fuel economy standards with EU and Japan by 2015
- Maintain parity with the nation which has the most advanced fuel economy thereafter
- 20% of new cars sales to be Zero Emissions Vehicles (10% by 2020)
50% of all electricity generated from clean renewable sources.
- Immediate halt to construction of new coal burning power plants, fossil fuel exports, and exploration for fossil fuels
- National Renewable Portfolio Standard (30% by 2020, 50% by 2030)
- Transfer all fossil fuel and food biofuel subsidies to non-combustion alternative energy and increase by inflation + 2%/ year until national portfolio is 100% renewable and sustainable
- Speed up EPA regulation of major GHG polluters (new power plants and fugitive methane by 2014, and existing plants by 2015).
- Put a price on carbon which reflects its true cost to society and reward alternative generators for the health benefits of clean energy with priority grid access and feed in tariffs.
40% of all daily trips made by walking, cycling, or public transit.
- Remove federal housing loan restrictions on commercial space that prevent development of affordable mixed use neighborhoods.
- Increase percent of federal transportation funds for active transportation from 1% to 5%
- Increase federal transportation dollars for public transit from 17% to 30%
- Increase active/public transit funding by inflation plus 1%/year till mode share target is achieved.
- Make federal: state funding match for active/public transportation equal to match for highways
- Increase gas tax if necessary in order to make these investments
30% increase in average energy efficiency for residential, public, and commercial buildings
- All new construction zero carbon by 2020
- Energy retrofit entire stock of existing housing and public buildings
- Publicly financed National Energy Conservation Corps
- Low interest financing for energy efficiency improvements with debt attached to the improved property and repaid from utility savings or tax at time of sale
20% increase in consumption of vegetables and decrease in consumption of red meat and corn sugars
- Realign federal farm policy to conform to the recommendations of the Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee